Saturday, August 15, 2009

What makes a couple a couple?

I'm revising a short rom-com this weekend and wondered what kind of cues establish "couplehood". I mean, when do you know you're a couple?? For the purposes of the book, I need to establish why my hero isn't into the whole state of "couplehood" and why he finds the process ridiculous. (It'll matter later when he arcs.)

(Yes, I know this is straight from the land of Mundania but there's not much else to do as I'm home with a stomach bug! Yuck! No solid food for the last 36 hours.)

So, I decided to put together some cues from my own "couplehood". Some are hokey. Some are sweet. Some are just plain weird. Feel free to add your own. I'd love to hear what others consider as a sign.

Here's what I have so far:

cutesy names for one another
connected at the shoulder (or hip)
matching sweaters (yuck!)

3 comments:

K.M. Saint James said...

Couplehood seems more about a look, or the ability to finish the other's sentence, or a simple touch -- not being glued together -- but fingers trailing along her sensative inner arm, only a spot he would know, or the way he might stroke her hair and she turns into the caress.

Glad you're better!

L.A. Mitchell said...

I'm so sorry you're sick :(

Sandra took my answer about finishing each other's sentences. I'll think on it and return later.

L.A. Mitchell said...

Back again ...

I'm pretty sure Sandra is a romance writer after that juicy tidbit ;)

I don't think a couple can call themselves a couple until they've seen each other at their hideous worst and they still hang around.