Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Nothing :)


That's right; I've got nothing.

I'm blogging so late b/c I've been working so FRACKING (yes, I love the word. Love the show -- BATTLESTAR GALACTICA FOREVER!!!) hard on every thing that has nothing to do with my personal writing or my goal to become a working/self-supporting writer, that I had to do it.

Blog, that is.

Thus, the header is a warning and a hook to stimulate my right brain (write brain).

I'm currently reading Cherry Adair's EDGE OF FEAR. It's the second in her T-FLAC series and it's good. I'm noticing right up front how well she really gets into the emotion of the central character.

She uses a series of intangibles to draw the reader in to her world. And at this moment, I both love and hate her. (And I mean that in the nicest way possible, dear Cherry.)

Example from pg. 1: Paragraph 3: (yes, 3)

Bam! Caleb felt as though someone had punched him in the solar plexus, grabbed his heart, and squeezed.
Hard.
That's what Heather Shaw looked like.



His internal monologue is to his partner/handler. Very telling. Suffice it to say, my new goal is to blurt it all out there, stop worrying if I'm getting the words conveyed succinctly on the page.

I've always prided myself on being able to use the least amount of words to convey the tone/content of the character's goal or the scene. But maybe, just maybe, I have it all wrong.

What do you think?

Okay, so maybe this blog isn't about nothing. It's about something.

1 comment:

L.A. Mitchell said...

I wish I could give you the time you've missed writing for Christmas :*

I think I tiptoe around too much sometimes, too. I think I just have to accept that there are certain subgenres that don't fit my style.