Saturday, October 13, 2007

Why Enter Contests?








Why Enter Contests?

IMO, contests offer a valuable stepping stone for writers. It acts as a first step of faith for a writer to submit their work. Not everyone is ready to submit to an agent or editor.

While some writers are blessed with a great critique group to submit their work on a weekly basis, a lot of writers don't have that option. They live too far off the beaten path or don't have access to an online writers group. Many writers just aren't ready to commit to a critique group or to have their work critiqued on a regular basis.

In the beginning, and I'm speaking from experience, it's terrifying process to submit your work to other writers. You have to sit there and watch their faces and listen to their comments. Try not to turn the whole process into a defense for your work. It can be an emotional beating.

Let’s face it; not all critiques are friendly or professional. Relationships play into a face to face critique. Sometimes, the best part of entering a contest can be the anonymous factor.

Anonymous means the exchange is gratuitous. There’s no agenda for the judge to low-ball the score. They don’t get any kind of compensation for writing glowing comments on your entry. Judging in itself can be a tremendous opportunity to learn from the process. You as the writer have no obligation to receive the comments as gospel. Take it as you will. If you agree with the judge, use the information to make the story better. If not, don’t. They didn’t get it.

Anonymity means you can both walk away without hurting anyone's feelings.

But be honest with yourself. Remember, there’s no agenda on the judge’s side. They don’t know who you are. You don’t know who they are. In other words, if they took the time to write a comment, take a hard look before you discount it.

Contests, at least for me, offer something I can't get from my critique group. Fresh eyes.

It's invaluable to me to get that first impression of the work after I've polished it. I have a critique group of professional and friendly (and uber-talented) women I critique with. But after they’ve seen the same story month after month, they lose that freshness. They also know me so well they can fill in the "intention" of my writing. They "know" what I mean on the page.

(Some writers use beta-readers for this process. In fact, that’s what the term means. Published writers have their agent. I don't have that option. Yet!)

A contest judge has no clue of your intention. For that reason, their comments force me to work a little harder to make certain my intent is clear to everyone, not just my critique group.

So, the $25 fee isn't just to get my work in front of the final round agent or editor, or to place or win. It's to gain commentary on the overall submission. This is, after all, what will go out to the various editors and agents on my list.

That's why I always send my work out to contests before I submit it anywhere else.

Just my $.02 worth. Take it as you will.

Happy Writing

No comments: