Monday, August 25, 2008

Twists and Turns aka Turning Points


I'm working on Witness FTD at the end of Chapter 3. This is where the hero and heroine must decide they need each other and pledge to put aside their differences to work together to find the killer.

It's a tough spot, otherwise known as the first major turning point. Finding the correct balance is essential.

Turning points are important in the story. If done correctly, they serve to propel the plot and ratchet up the tension between the main characters. More importantly, they force the reader to make a choice: read on or put the book aside for something more riveting.

How do I do that? Carefully.

First, decide what's at stake. I like to plot on levels. Level 1 is the romance (for obvious reasons). Level 2 is the internal plot (or character--what each of the main players bring to the story). Level 3 is the external plot (what happens and why).

Without going in to a lot of detail, (Because hey, I want you to read the book when it's finished) it's important to braid these three factors together in every scene. One cannot stand without the others. Or, they shouldn't. You'll know why if you've ever read a book that didn't engage your senses.

Start with the romance. These two characters have a history. They loved and trusted each other. But he betrayed her. It cost her a life long dream of becoming a cop. He didn't come away unscathed. His betrayal cost him a piece of himself. It changed his life and now, he thinks, he's found a way to justify it and live with the consequences. (We all lie to ourselves, right? And that's one of my underlying themes for this character. He has to get honest about what really matters.)

Okay, so on to braiding the plots, as I like to call it.

The Romance:

Love is a twisted path. I like to follow these three simple emotional rules: respect +trust= love.

Building respect between my two main characters is the first step on their emotional journey. They each have to make a choice at this turning point in order to be able to work together. There are several ways to do that. Sometimes it involves a head-on confrontation between the characters, which always involves a ratcheting of the sexual tension. Other times, I'll allow a secondary character to reveal a deeper depth to the hero or herione to provoke a thoughtful retrospective. But always, the outcome is a begrudging respect the hero or herione offer one another. It's an olive branch to further their own internal/external goal. The goal is what's at stake. Make it important.

I won't tell you how I do that. You'll just have to read the book :)

Next Blog: Building Respect into Trust

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hi!

K.M. Saint James said...

Do you know the phoenix? Interesting, very interesting.

As to your post, great insight as to the specifics on TPs. I'd never actually considered a 'formula' for love, but then you're more right brained about these things than I am.

I love that your hero cost the heroine her life-long dream. That's a load to recover from and one that would scare weaker writers and plotters away. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

How was the school start? We're all still standing at my house, so I'm waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop and you know that it will because goodness knows my kids love to drop things on my head. GRIN!

Marilyn Brant said...

What a wonderful and informative post, Sherry! I enjoyed your insights into TPs and know a few writers who'll really appreciate your explanation. I'll tell them to stop by!