Sunday, August 17, 2008

Music as Inspiration for Characters


I'm working on WFTD today, framing my hero and forming his character ticks and dialogue. I like to choose specific music to listen to while I'm in a particular character's head. Sometimes, I'll even choose a particular song to emphasize the tone and mood of a particular scene.

Today, I'm writing in my hero's head. Trace Rios is a quiet guy for the most part. Intelligent and cautious, he excels at his investigative career because he's learned to detach his emotions in order to see the bigger picture. He's learned to connect the invisible dots of a case and solve it. Unfortunately, it's also made him a little too judgemental and a lot cynical about people in general. He keeps his emotions buried below the surface.

But my herione, Kris represents a bridge to his past wrongs. Okay, so long story short, I think I've finally found the right song to personify the hero and herione's love story!!

I'm listening to Crossfade's song Cold. It's the perfect song about regrets and things left unsaid. How he never got it right. Too wrapped up in things that never really meant anything. He never meant to be so "Cold".

Okay, your turn. What do you do to help define your characters?

5 comments:

Mary Malcolm Duncanson said...

I write diary entries for them. It helps me think as the character. Then when I sit down to write the story, I've got their tone, voice, angst, worries, even funny moments from their lives in my head.

Helps me a lot.

Don't tell anyone, but I also go to Match.Com and find people who look like my H/H. Sometimes I entertwine the lives...if I really like their blurb, descriptions, wishes, hopes and desires, I steal them for my characters.

Mary Malcolm Duncanson said...

Not the actual words! I don't plagiarize them...*lol*

Just the feel for who they are.

*Phew*

I re-read that and wasn't certain how it sounded. *lol*

Sherry A Davis said...

Brilliant, Mary. I think you have mentioned that before when we were talking about using a corkboard to gather a photo montage for our books.

Great suggestion.

K.M. Saint James said...

I love this idea, Sherry, to use one particular song for a specific character.

There are songs that pull to me when I'm writing, but I'd never considered that one 'certain' song for a character. New muse for me.

As I'm down the creek (so to speak) in Trickle of Lies and this one is so set in west Texas, I'm listening to a lot of country, but not the twangy kind as that's simply distracting. Carrie Underwood, I know she's more of a contemporary singer, but she sounds so country, is in my computer right now.

Have a great day. Glad to see you were wonderful productive this weekend.

L.A. Mitchell said...

Crossfade is awesome. The lead singer is inspiration unto himself, too :)

Music really is a shortcut to that other brain. My goal for the next book is to create a playlist. It'd be fun to share with readers and tie it to giveaways, too.

I'm so happy you're feeling inspired. The newness of yours helps Sandra and I pick up our enthusiasm for the old:)